Ryan P. Farrell
50 Virginia Street
Crystal Lake, Illinois 60014
- Loyola University (J.D., 2005)
- University of Illinois (B.S., accountancy, 2000)
- Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois, 2006
Ryan P. Farrell, a Certified Public Accountant and a resident of Crystal Lake for most of his life, knows the businesses and the people of McHenry County. His wide-ranging transactional experience encompasses banking, corporate business law, commercial real estate, taxation, estate planning, and employee benefits.
Farrell’s work with banks, corporate clients, real estate developers, businesses and individuals includes matters such as:
- Contract drafting and review
- Asset purchase agreements
- Stock purchase agreements
- Business incorporation and organization
- Shareholder agreements
- Tax planning for business transactions
- Succession planning
- Commercial real estate
- Residential real estate
- Drafting and reviewing loan documents
- Deeds in lieu of foreclosure
- Commercial loan workouts
- Foreclosures, including consent foreclosures
McHenry County Bar Association, Illinois State Bar Association
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “What Changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act Mean to You,” CPE Club, July 20, 2016
- Author, “Commercial leases can make or break business,” Northwest Herald, March 27, 2016
- Author, “Legal changes affect pregnant employees,“ Northwest Herald, Nov. 22, 2015
- Author, “Business partnerships don’t have to end in divorce,” Northwest Herald, May 31, 2015
- Contributor to column by Nancy Gonsiorek, CPA, “Fiscal sponsorships provide another avenue for new nonprofits,” Northwest Herald, Aug. 24, 2014
- Author, “BYOD to work? Know what your employees are bringing to the party,” Northwest Herald, March 9, 2014
- Author, “Getting creative with incentive compensation plans,” Northwest Herald, June 2, 2013
- Author, “The nuts and bolts of setting up a business,” Northwest Herald, Feb. 24, 2013
- Speaker, “Redeveloping Distressed Properties: Clearing Out the Backlog in Order to Move Forward,” Illinois Municipal League 99th Annual Conference, Chicago, October 2012
- Speaker, “Business Law for Women Business Owners,” Exemplar Financial Network, April 2011
- Moderator, “Finance Forum,” co-sponsored by McHenry County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) Business Growth & Development Committee and the Illinois Small Business Development Center, March 2011
- Farrell has conducted seminars on estate planning topics for various groups, including through Centegra Health Systems and Hearthstone Communities, as well as delivered harassment training for multiple private companies.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Northwest Herald Business Journal’s “10 Under 40” Award; Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce Presidential Award of Excellence; named a Leading Lawyer in 2017 and an Emerging Lawyer in 2015 by Leading Lawyers, a division of Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Prior to joining Zukowski, Rogers, Flood & McArdle in 2006, Farrell was a senior employee benefits legal consultant at Ernst & Young, LLP in Chicago where he performed compliance and fiduciary reviews of qualified benefit plans. He also represented clients in their dealings with the Internal Revenue Service. Earlier in his career, Farrell worked with the same Big Four professional services firm as a senior auditor. In addition, Farrell also spent a year as a legal intern with General Growth Properties, which was then a Chicago-based publicly traded real estate investment trust.
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE
Farrell enthusiastically supports many community and business associations in Crystal Lake and McHenry County. He was elected in 2011 to the School District 47 Board of Education in Crystal Lake and is now serving in his second term. He serves as Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees and is a member of the 2010 class of Leadership Greater McHenry County, a group organized to foster and develop local community leaders. Farrell is past chair of the Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce and the recent past chair of the Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors. Farrell also coaches several youth sports teams through Crystal Lake Raiders Football, Crystal Lake Baseball, and the Crystal Lake Central Tiger Feeder Basketball program.
As the general corporate counsel of the Crystal Lake Food Pantry, Farrell helps the 501(c)(3) charitable organization offer temporary food assistance to qualified Crystal Lake residents. Volunteers from more than 20 local faith communities run the food pantry.